[KurdishLinux] Evening

Niels Dettenbach nd at syndicat.com
Thu Nov 27 11:09:53 CET 2008

Dear Giggs,

many thanks for your posting and introducing yours.

As you may have seen your posting is one of the first in this group. Currently
there are only just a few peoples on the list and it seems until today there
was no real interest in a kurdish LUG by the kurds. But i hope this will get
changed in the next.

I like to introduce me and this project here:

Im 33 years old and are from (former east) germany. Since 11 year im working
with open source like linux, Free,- net- and openBSD. Since two years with
openSolaris too.

In my last trips to kurdistan (I've worked for different local ISPs in Arbil,
Suly, Dohuk) i've found several peoples wich are still working with Linux
and/or FreeBSD on different levels but they still are looking for Linux /
Unix knowledge and peoples wich are skilled in this. I've looked for a
kurdish or iraqi Linux user group but i didn't found one. There is still a
LUG on iraqi level, but their work seems to be much far from the typical work
of a LUG anywhere on the globe.

In germany i've founded our regional LUG (EICLust) several years ago and im
active in different other LUGs around too. As a small - but well connected -
european hosting ISP my idea was to found such a kurdish LUG to help open
source to grow in kurdistan, to connect open source peoples within kurdistan
and provide a platform for their activities. As the most ISPs in kurdistan
are connected by satellite or loose + far fiber links the best place for
hosting the website, mailing lists and/or ftp's of such a LUG is still in
europe.

Because im not rooted in kurdistan im looking for kurds wich are interested
byself in (co-)found a kurdish LUG and helps to coordinate local activities
in their country. I see my part in providing the LUG with our server
ressources (webspace / CMS, mailing list, ftp, jabber, IRC and/or other
services) in the one hand - on the other i will try to connect the kurdish
LUG to european LUGs - bring in my experiences about the work of LUGs - help
to transfer open source knowledge into kurdistan by activating experienced
open source guys wich will provide help on your mailing list, sharing
experience within kurds and other such activities.

In case you are interested to be active in or with this LUG please feel to ask
me anytime - you are welcome to help to build the kurdish LUG, promote the
project Linux-Kurdistan.org and the ideas behind a LUG.

May be you know some more guys on your university wich are interested in open
source and open for such a LUG and may participate in this mailing list? If
you like to provide a (cms based) website i will provide the hosting
ressources or further domain names for the project too - no prob. In case you
have someone who will act as a list moderator - pls contact me too.

But - just in case you have any questions about linux or open source please
feel free to post it in this group - this should be the typical reason of a
LUGs mailing list.

cheers,

Niels.

--

---

  Niels Dettenbach
  ---
  Syndicat IT&Internet
  http://www.syndicat.com
  T.-Muentzer.-Str. 2, 37308 Heilbad Heiligenstadt - DE
  ---
  Kryptoinfo:
  PGP public key ID 651CA20D
  Fingerprint: 55E0 4DCD B04C 4A49 1586  88AE 54DC 4465 651C A20D
  https://syndicat.com/pub_key.asc
  ---